Featured Post

It seems Pope Francis needs to brush up on his Tertullian!

It has been reported (in The ChristLast Media, I must note) that the current Pope does not like the phrase "lead us not into temptation...

"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III

Friday, June 24, 2005

Vietnam all over again.

Professor R. J. Rummel of Democratic Peace reinforces my biased opinions. Luckily, we're both right.

But three things are different now. One is that there is a president dedicated to a war on terrorism and facing no distracting scandal. Whereas Nixon was reelected for President on the promise to end the war and in its dire days was faced with the Watergate scandal that eventually drove him from office. Two, there is no draft. Absent the draft, there are not the hundreds of thousands of anti-draft young people demonstrating against the war and providing the troops for the left and communists. This is one reason that some Democrats want to bring the draft back, but thankfully, the Republicans are not so stupid. Yet. And three, there was an open and fair election in Iraq and there democratization underway that is supported by the Iraqis. In Vietnam, the South Vietnamese government had little democratic legitimacy. It appeared authoritarian and corrupt and the democratic elections it held appeared bogus to many South Vietnamese. With the help of North Vietnamese agents, political organizations were set up in the South to call for a "Third Way" between North and South, for freedom and independence. These groups, attractive and legitimate on the surface, severely weakened the government at home and abroad, particularly in the Unites States, where "Third Way" activist often made speeches and gave testimony.

So, although as I watch events, I get this feeling that I've gone through this before, I don't think the outcome will be the same. In short, I believe the terrorists will lose.

Professor Rummel seems a bit more optimistic about the future than I am. I hope and pray he's right and I'm wrong.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.

Labels

Blog Archive