- Gitmo suspect cleared of terrorism charges - ABC via Yahoo!7 News
- Tanzanian cleared of terror charges in key trial - AFP via Yahoo! Canada News
- Ghailani verdict could signal an end to civilian terror trials - The Christian Science Monitor via Yahoo! News
SEX IS DEATH [Part 95: Sexual perversion - the sin that keeps on taking and taking and taking...ad nauseam...ad infinitum]
I came to Carthage, where I found myself in the midst of a hissing cauldron of lusts. I had not yet fallen in love, but I was in love ...
"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Posted by TheChurchMilitant at 12:34 PM
Rangel pleads for 'fairness and mercy' ahead of punishment
By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press
WASHINGTON – Rep. Charles Rangel of New York pleaded Thursday for "a drop of fairness and mercy" as he braced for likely punishment for his ethical misdeeds.
The Harlem Democrat, who rarely sticks to a script, released prepared remarks for a House ethics committee hearing that will decide how he should be sanctioned.
The 80-year-old Rangel was convicted Tuesday on 11 counts of violating House rules. He misused his office in fundraising for a college center named after him, set up a campaign office in a subsidized, residential-only apartment unit, made public a decade of misleading financial statements and failed to pay taxes for 17 years on rental income from a beach villa.
Posted by TheChurchMilitant at 12:21 PM
GENEVA – Scientists claimed a breakthrough Thursday in solving one of the biggest riddles of physics, successfully trapping the first "anti-atom" in a quest to understand what happened to all the antimatter that has vanished since the Big Bang.
An international team of physicists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, managed to create an atom of anti-hydrogen and then hold onto it for long enough to demonstrate that it can be studied in the lab.
"For us it's a big breakthrough because it means we can take the next step, which is to try to compare matter and antimatter," the team's spokesman, American scientist Jeffrey Hangst, told The Associated Press.
"This field is 20 years old and has been making incremental progress toward exactly this all along the way," he added. "We really think that this was the most difficult step."
For decades, researchers have puzzled over why antimatter seems to have disappeared from the universe.
Theory posits that matter and antimatter were created in equal amounts at the moment of the Big Bang, which spawned the universe some 13.7 billion years ago. But while matter — defined as having mass and taking up space — went on to become the building block of everything that exists, antimatter has all but disappeared except in the lab.
Hangst and his colleagues, who included scientists from Britain, Brazil, Canada, Israel and the United States, trapped 38 anti-hydrogen for about one tenth of a second, according to a paper submitted to the respected science journal Nature.
Since their first success, the team has managed to hold the anti-atoms even longer.
"Unfortunately I can't tell you how long, because we haven't published the number yet," Hangst told the AP. "But I can tell you that it's much, much longer than a tenth of a second. Within human comprehension on a real clock."
Scientists have long been able to create individual particles of antimatter such as anti-protons, anti-neutrons and positrons — the opposite of electrons. Since 2002, they have also managed to lump these particles together to form anti-atoms, but until recently none could be trapped for long enough to study them, because atoms made of antimatter and matter annihilate each other in a burst of energy upon contact.
"It doesn't help if they disappear immediately upon their creation," said Hangst. "So the big goal has been to hold onto them."
Two teams had been competing for that goal at CERN, the world's largest physics lab best known for its $10 billion smasher, the Large Hadron Collider. The collider, built deep under the Swiss-French border, wasn't used for this experiment.
Hangst's ALPHA team got there first, beating the rival ATRAP team led by Harvard physicist Gerald Gabrielse, who nevertheless welcomed the result.
"The atoms that were trapped were not yet trapped very long and in a very usable number, but one has to crawl before you sprint," he told the AP.
Many new techniques painstakingly developed over five years of experimental trial and error preceded the successful capture of anti-hydrogen.
To trap the anti-atoms inside an electromagnetic field and to stop them from annihilating atoms, researchers had to create anti-hydrogen at temperatures less than half a degree above absolute zero.
"Think of it as a marble rolling back and forth in a bowl," said Hangst. "If the marble is rolling too fast (i.e. the anti-atom is too hot) it just goes over the edge."
Next, scientists plan to conduct basic experiments on the anti-atom, such as shining a laser onto it and seeing how it behaves, he said.
"We have a chance to make a really precise comparison between a matter system and an antimatter system," he said, "That's unique, that's never been done. That's where we're headed now."
Hangst downplayed speculation that antimatter might someday be harnessed as a source of energy, or to create a powerful weapon, an idea popularized in Dan Brown's best-selling novel "Angels and Demons."
"It would take longer than the age of the universe to make one gram of antimatter," he said, calling the process "a losing proposition because it takes much more energy to make antimatter than you get out of it."
Posted by TheChurchMilitant at 12:16 PM
- First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.
- "What difference at this point does it make?” (19)
- 24 (23)
- A little Latin lingo (16)
- Abortionists Do (1)
- AIDS (4)
- Animal Flesh Recipes (40)
- Are you a fake conservative? (8)
- ATTACK FROM THE RIGHT! (44)
- Battleground: Pennsylvania (21)
- Big Babykilling (124)
- Big Masturbation (45)
- Bolshevik The Clown (133)
- Book of the Day (119)
- Catholic Apologetics (5)
- Catholic crackup (55)
- Clump lies and freedom dies (35)
- Clump Rising (30)
- Clump über alles (19)
- Clump über alles. (33)
- Clumpy The Clown (21)
- Conservative Crackup (67)
- Dumbass Cinema (23)
- FUCK TRUMP IN THE RUMP (70)
- Germaine Greer In Drag (9)
- GET YOUR WOMBS OUT OF MY WALLET (51)
- GOVERNMENT IS HELL ON EARTH (11)
- GOVERNMENT IS MURDER (12)
- GOVERNMENT IS THEFT (107)
- Guilty Pleasures (34)
- Guns Don't Kill (1)
- Guns Don't Kill Abortionists Do (2)
- Heap Big Lying Squaw (1)
- Heat Nazis (61)
- In vitro no one can hear you scream (46)
- It Takes A Village To Staff A Gestapo Unit (109)
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Love (10)
- Lyin'-ass Bitch in the White House (134)
- Mayor McTerror (2)
- Mittens The Pompadoured Pussy (17)
- NeverClump (35)
- None Dare Call It Fascism (65)
- None dare call it treason (148)
- Obama-rama (159)
- Orgasm Über Alles (67)
- Penis bad Vagina good (47)
- PLUTO HELD HOSTAGE (99)
- Racist. (74)
- Real Mensches Of Genius (5)
- Reel Cinema (7)
- Religion of Peace and Love and Et Cetera (186)
- SEX IS DEATH (101)
- Shakespearean insults (15)
- She With The Unmentionable Straightened Hair (5)
- Sodomy: The New Black (45)
- Stop me if you've heard this one. (11)
- The face of things to come (4)
- The First Hair Straightener (21)
- The King Abdullah Gazette (303)
- The Long Hot Zombie Summer (35)
- The Theology of the Body (139)
- Totalitarian Pennsylvania (66)
- VOTE FOR ROMNEY NOT THE COMMIE (70)
- What Would Giffords Do? (22)
- Words don't kill People do (60)
- Zardoz (8)
- Major K. - He's home now, but his blog from Iraq remains.
- The Mudville Gazette
- Iraq The Model
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- 365 and a Wakeup - He's home now, but his blog from Iraq remains.
- Captain's Quarters
- Michael Yon - old blog here
- A Star From Mosul
- Peeve Farm-Breeding peeves for show, not just to keep as pets.
- BlameBush! Because Bush is to Blame for Everything.
- CRISIS Magazine
- Disaffiliates-Think Twice
- Where have you gone, Ronald Reagan?
- (Get your own "Wars Prevented by the UN" counter here.)
- WI Catholic Musings
- Network of College Conservatives
- The Musings of David Amulet
- Stop The ACLU
- Crossed The Tiber
- I link what I like. Show me what you've got.
- ► 2017 (97)
- ► 2016 (99)
- ► 2015 (19)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2012 (665)
- ► 2011 (692)
- ▼ 11/14 - 11/21 (3)
- ► 2007 (849)
- ► 2006 (3990)
- ► 2005 (2291)