Featured Post

It seems Pope Francis needs to brush up on his Tertullian!

It has been reported (in The ChristLast Media, I must note) that the current Pope does not like the phrase "lead us not into temptation...

"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III

Monday, August 29, 2005

Scriptural Snippets

Yesterday's first reading (Jeremias 20:7-9) reminds me of the origin of the word jeremiad.


7
Thou hast deceived me, O Lord, and I am deceived: thou hast been stronger than I, and thou hast prevailed. I am become a laughingstock all the day, all scoff at me.
8
For I am speaking now this long time, crying out against iniquity, and I often proclaim devastation: and the word of the Lord is made a reproach to me, and a derision all the day.
9
Then I said: I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name: and there came in my heart as a burning fire, shut up in my bones, and I was wearied, not being able to bear it.

Remember, kiddies, if the world is not giving you grief, you are not trying hard enough.

Yesterday's Gospel (Matthew 16:21-27),

21
From that time Jesus began to shew to his disciples, that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the ancients and scribes and chief priests, and be put to death, and the third day rise again.
22
And Peter taking him, began to rebuke him, saying: Lord, be it far from thee, this shall not be unto thee.
23
Who turning, said to Peter: Go behind me, Satan, thou art a scandal unto me: because thou savourest not the things that are of God, but the things that are of men.
24
Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25
For he that will save his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it.
26
For what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul? Or what exchange shall a man give for his soul?
27
For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels: and then will he render to every man according to his works.

immediately follows that of last Sunday (Matthew 16:13-20):

13
And Jesus came into the quarters of Cesarea Philippi: and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is?
14
But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15
Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?
16
Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God.
17
And Jesus answering said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven.
18
And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19
And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.
20
Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ.

This is a perfect example of why Simon Peter is the greatest of the Apostles. First, the Christ Himself is surprised when the Father speaks directly through Simon, identifying Jesus as the Messiah. Then Jesus declares him Peter, the rock upon which The Church will be built. (Note to our protestant friends: Re-read this section of Matthew's Gospel carefully before you slander the papacy and deny the authority the Pope has over you - yes, you! - and all The Church militant.)

Then, half a minute later, Jesus calls Peter "Satan" and orders him away. There is a reason Peter is mentioned much more than any other disciple (almost two hundred times). His journey of faith is like ours, filled with highs and lows. The same man who, by the grace of God, proclaimed Jesus the Son of God, is also the man who denied the Christ thrice just before His Passion.

The man with enough faith to join Jesus as he walked on water is the same man who, seconds later, sank when the waters got a little rough.

Sound like someone you know, kiddies?

Follow Jesus' greatest disciple on his journey of failures and ultimate triumph and see yourself.

Remember, The Church was built upon Peter. That means there is hope for all of us.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.

Labels

Blog Archive