From the Liberty Mutual Responsibility Project on 10/13/2010:
Zombie Charity Walks
Picture this: A scene eerily similar to such classic horror fare as Night of the Living Dead -- throngs of zombies lurching forward, slouched in unison toward their target, arms outstretched in a parody of sleepwalking with what appears to be…canned goods?
Halloween is fast approaching, and with it comes a different kind of charity drive that has slowly gained traction in cities and communities worldwide over the past several years. From Utica to Utah, Ohio to Australia, “zombies” are walking the streets, and it’s for a good cause; more specifically, several good causes.
While the exact origins of zombie walks are nebulous at best -- one of the earliest documented mass gatherings of folks dressed as the undead occurred in Sacramento in 2001 -- the charity component to such endeavors has been a more recent development. In 2008, the hosts of a Pittsburgh public access program The It’s Alive Show initiated the first ever World Zombie Day -- and an accompanying “Zombie Fest” in Pittsburgh -- and encouraged people worldwide to dress up as zombies and participate in organized walks to raise awareness of global hunger. It worked. The first Zombie Fest in Pittsburgh raised more than 2000 pounds of food in a single day, and this year’s iteration, held on 10/10/10, will aim to beat that figure while setting a new Guinness World Record for “Largest Gathering of Zombies” (yes such a thing exists).
Elsewhere, the Manchester, UK-based organization Zombie-Aid raised thousands of dollars for cancer patients during a 2009 zombie walk. The group has since announced plans for future walks and events throughout the United Kingdom and the United States. And in Utah, this year’s “Night of the Running Dead” 5K race will pit runners dressed as zombies against those dressed, well, normal, with all of the proceeds benefiting a local cancer foundation.
It may not be your typical charity event, but then again, Halloween isn’t exactly your typical holiday, either. What do you think? Are zombie walks a creepily clever way to gain new participants for worthy causes or just plain creepy?
"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
- First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.
- 24 (22)
- A little Latin lingo (16)
- AIDS (3)
- Animal Flesh Recipes (40)
- Battleground: Pennsylvania (15)
- Big Babykilling (108)
- Big Masturbation (38)
- Bolshevik The Clown (121)
- Book of the Day (117)
- Catholic crackup (37)
- Dumbass Cinema (21)
- GET YOUR WOMBS OUT OF MY WALLET (35)
- GOVERNMENT IS THEFT (50)
- Guilty Pleasures (9)
- Heat Nazis (60)
- ILyin'-ass Bitch in the White House (2)
- In vitro no one can hear you scream (33)
- It Takes A Village To Staff A Gestapo Unit (88)
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Love (9)
- Lyin'-ass Bitch in the White House (117)
- Mayor McTerror (2)
- Mittens The Pompadoured Pussy (15)
- None dare call it treason (113)
- Obama-rama (145)
- Orgasm Über Alles (45)
- Penis bad Vagina good (35)
- PLUTO HELD HOSTAGE (95)
- Racist. (65)
- Reel Cinema (6)
- Religion of Peace and Love and Et Cetera (164)
- SEX IS DEATH (88)
- Shakespearean insults (15)
- She With The Unmentionable Straightened Hair (5)
- Sodomy: The New Black (34)
- Stop me if you've heard this one. (10)
- The First Hair Straightener (20)
- The King Abdullah Gazette (299)
- The Long Hot Zombie Summer (32)
- The Theology of the Body (134)
- Totalitarian Pennsylvania (60)
- VOTE FOR ROMNEY NOT THE COMMIE (70)
- What Would Giffords Do? (16)
- Words don't kill People do (22)
- Zardoz (6)
- Major K. - He's home now, but his blog from Iraq remains.
- The Mudville Gazette
- Iraq The Model
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- 365 and a Wakeup - He's home now, but his blog from Iraq remains.
- Captain's Quarters
- Michael Yon - old blog here
- A Star From Mosul
- Peeve Farm-Breeding peeves for show, not just to keep as pets.
- BlameBush! Because Bush is to Blame for Everything.
- CRISIS Magazine
- Disaffiliates-Think Twice
- Where have you gone, Ronald Reagan?
- (Get your own "Wars Prevented by the UN" counter here.)
- WI Catholic Musings
- Network of College Conservatives
- The Musings of David Amulet
- Stop The ACLU
- Crossed The Tiber
- I link what I like. Show me what you've got.
07/15 - 07/22
- Soon, all our athletes will dress like NASCAR driv...
- Why don't the Heat Nazis get Elizabeth Warren to d...
- Yes, son, there are supervillains.
- "Oh, right. So I'm the bad guy".
- Hmmm...It's like America's first domestic terroris...
- HOLY CRAP! Even more news of economic terrorism pe...
- Still more news of economic terrorism perpetrated ...
- More news of economic terrorism perpetrated by Ame...
- Wait'll next week when this number is inevitably "...
- Finally! Romney starts calling the commie a commie...
- Even the left-fascist press can't hide the ju-eare...
- Steelers Update
- The Boy Scouts reaffirm their right to avoid havin...
- I can't help it. I must obey my feet.
- The Michael and Cathryn Borden Memorial Book of th...
- America's first Catholic president was George Wash...
- Pauly The K versus Reality.
- Hmmm...Apparently, we were overrun by zombies some...
- Benito Hussein Okhrana produces kiddie porn.
- It's just another day in Obamastan...
- "The long hot zombie summer just passed me by..."*...
- Either Benito's the American Stalin, or he has the...
- Dumbass Movie Of The Year.
- Kind of ironic for a slave to Planned Babykilling'...
- ▼ 07/15 - 07/22 (24)
- ► 2011 (692)
- ► 2010 (42)
- ► 2007 (849)
- ► 2006 (3993)
- ► 2005 (2291)