Featured Post

It seems Pope Francis needs to brush up on his Tertullian!

It has been reported (in The ChristLast Media, I must note) that the current Pope does not like the phrase "lead us not into temptation...

"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III

Friday, May 26, 2006

How about gum laced with Ritalin?

The Pittsburgh Tribune Review details the latest petit fasciste nonsense from the nanny state to afflict children.

Student suspended over chewing gum

A student in Westmoreland County has paid the price for sharing chewing gum that contains a substance that many adults depend on to make it through the work day -- caffeine.

Ritalin.

Burrell School Board President Andy Kish said Thursday that a girl at Huston Middle School was given a three-day suspension. He said he didn't know details, including the girl's name and her grade level.

Ritalin.

Superintendent Amy Palermo said the incident happened this week.
Palermo declined to specify the day and said she is uncertain if the student -- whom Palermo wouldn't name -- currently is serving the suspension.

Ritalin.

Middle school Principal Shannon Wagner couldn't be reached for comment.

Ritalin.

Palermo said the suspension is mainly based on the girl's decision to share a caffeinated product -- Jolt chewing gum -- with another student.

Ritalin.

"What if the gum had been given to a student with a heart condition? As a parent, would you want your child to be able to get that type of product?" the superintendent said.

Ritalin.

Palermo described the gum as "a stimulant that has no other redeeming quality." For that reason, the gum -- and caffeine, in general -- is considered a rogue substance at the middle school.

Ritalin.

Drinks containing caffeine aren't sold in the lunchroom. There are soda machines at the school, but they aren't turned on during school hours.

Ritalin.

When asked if there would be consequences for a student who brings a soft drink to school in a packed lunch, Palermo said school officials can't control what parents put in their children's lunches.

Ritalin.

Teachers, faculty and staff are permitted to consume caffeine during the school day. Palermo said employees aren't subject to the same disciplinary guidelines as students.

Ritalin.

Dr. Kultar Shergill, a pediatrician affiliated with Alle-Kiski Medical Center and who has private practices -- Uptown Pediatrics Associates in New Kensington and Harrison -- said teens shouldn't consume more than three caffeinated sodas or one cup of coffee each day.

Ritalin.

The drug, he said, affects the heart rate, can deplete the body's calcium supply, disturb sleep cycles and even cause depression.

Ritalin.

"That's of particular importance for teenagers during growth spurts who need a full night's rest and an adequate supply of calcium," Shergill said.

Ritalin.

Jolt, manufactured by New Jersey-based GumRunners, is marketed as a caffeine-energy gum.

Ritalin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Nikki Hughes and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ritalin.

I am 51 years old. Have been on Ritalin for 9 years now. I began taking it for depression after my marriage ended, and also in a misguided attempt to lose weight! I lost about 15 pounds at the beginning, had tons of energy, felt great...but the weight loss stopped within a few months.. I currently feel focused and motivated after I take it and am able to get a lot done. As well as the generic ritalin, I take 6 - 12 Tylenol 1 tablets a day. I know how bad this is, but can't seem to stop for more than a few days. The last nine years seem to be a blur...it's like I have lost those years....I hardly remember anything about them. I find this sad and frightening. I take what my doctor prescribed: three 10mg. tablets a day. I have tried many times to completely get off this drug but I now realize that I am truly addicted to it. If I stop taking it for more than one day I become extremely depressed and have very negative, hopeless thoughts and ideas.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
very irritable when it wears off; sometimes difficult to fall asleep, memory loss, hear music in my head that won't stop.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Nikki Hughes

About Me

My photo
First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.

Labels

Blog Archive