Featured Post

It seems Pope Francis needs to brush up on his Tertullian!

It has been reported (in The ChristLast Media, I must note) that the current Pope does not like the phrase "lead us not into temptation...

"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III

Monday, June 13, 2011

Why it's best not to take your boyhood idols into middle age with you.

I finally got around to listening to last year's solo album by the former front man for The Jam and The Style Council. I should have trusted my instincts.

Paul Weller/Wake Up the Nation

I know The Jam and the energy necessary to write those songs are long gone. The Style Council had their moments too, though they were few and far between. At least there was something cool and different there at times.

Wake Up The Nation is just boring and that is the most damning complaint there is, kiddies. If you are unfamiliar with The Jam, you might think Mr. Weller is a serviceable AOR artist from England. Sorry, but that is simply not good enough for me.

No, I don't expect anyone to remain locked in the early 1980's. But artists should not expect their fans to celebrate getting old and boring with them.

I'm going to fire up the turntable, spin All Mod Cons a few times, and have a couple of beers.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.

Labels

Blog Archive