From Roto-Reuters via Yahoo News:
Britain votes to allow world's first ' three-parent babies
Britain voted on Tuesday to become the first country to allow a "three-parent" IVF technique which doctors say will prevent some inherited incurable diseases but which critics see as a step towards creating designer babies.
The treatment is known as "three-parent" in vitro fertilisation (IVF) because the babies, born from genetically modified embryos, would have DNA from a mother, a father and from a female donor.
It is designed to help families with mitochondrial diseases, incurable conditions passed down the maternal line that affect around one in 6,500 children worldwide.
After an emotionally charged 90-minute debate that some lawmakers criticised as being too short for such a serious matter, parliament voted 382 to 128 in favour of the technique, called mitochondrial donation.
The vote paves the way for a medical world first for Britain -- which along with the United States has been at the forefront of scientific research on the treatments -- but one that is fiercely disputed by some religious groups and other critics.
The process involves intervening in the fertilisation process to remove mitochondria, which act as tiny energy-generating batteries inside cells, and which, if faulty, can cause inherited conditions such as fatal heart problems, liver failure, brain disorders, blindness and muscular dystrophy.
Mitochondrial DNA is separate from DNA found in the cell nucleus and does not affect human characteristics such as hair or eye colour, appearance or personality traits.
"I wouldn't stand here and defend the concept of designer babies -- choosing the colour of the eyes and all the rest of it. This is about purely dealing with those terrible, terrible illnesses," opposition Labour lawmaker Andrew Miller, chair of parliament's science and technology committee, told the debate.
Said the fool from the middle of the slippery slope.
International charities, advocacy groups and scientists had urged Britain to pass laws to allow the treatment, saying it brought a "first glimmer of hope" for some families of having a baby who could live without suffering.
"We have finally reached a milestone in giving women an invaluable choice, the choice to become a mother without fear of passing on a lifetime under the shadow of mitochondrial disease to their child," Robert Meadowcroft, chief executive of the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign, said following the vote.
In an open letter to lawmakers, 11 international campaign groups, including the U.S. United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation, described the condition as "unimaginably cruel".
"It strips our children of the skills they have learned, inflicts pain that cannot be managed and tires their organs one by one until their little bodies cannot go on any more," they wrote.
Lawmakers were given a free vote on the issue, and Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman said the British leader had voted to support it, adding it was not "about playing God".
Said the dumbass politician with the god complex.
"He has a particular sympathy with those parents whose children are born with very serious illnesses, that in nearly all cases end their lives prematurely," the spokesman said, referring to Cameron's son Ivan who suffered from cerebral palsy and severe epilepsy and died aged six in 2009.
Proposed new laws allowing the treatments to be carried out in Britain still have to be approved by the upper house, which commentators expect to endorse parliament's support.
Gillian Lockwood, medical director of Midland Fertility clinic and a reproductive ethicist, urged the scientists developing the techniques to continue "to educate and reassure those who continue to have anxieties".
The Bishops Conference of England and Wales said the Church opposed the destruction of human embryos as part of the process and hoped treatments for mitochondrial disease could be found.
"The human embryo is a new human life with potential; it should be respected and protected from the moment of conception and not used as disposable material," Bishop John Sherrington said in a statement.
Other critics say the technique will lead to the creation of genetically modified "designer babies", with Conservative lawmaker Fiona Bruce saying it would amount to letting "the genie out of the bottle".
"Where will it lead? The answer has to be that we stop here. The answer has to be that we say this is a red line in our country, as in every other country in the world, that we will not cross," she said during the debate.
SEX IS DEATH [Part 95: Sexual perversion - the sin that keeps on taking and taking and taking...ad nauseam...ad infinitum]
I came to Carthage, where I found myself in the midst of a hissing cauldron of lusts. I had not yet fallen in love, but I was in love ...
"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III
Thursday, February 12, 2015
- First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.
- "What difference at this point does it make?” (19)
- 24 (24)
- A little Latin lingo (16)
- AIDS (4)
- Animal Flesh Recipes (40)
- Are you a fake conservative? (34)
- ATTACK FROM THE RIGHT! (83)
- Battleground: Pennsylvania (21)
- Big Babykilling (131)
- Big Masturbation (49)
- Bolshevik The Clown (135)
- Book of the Day (119)
- Catholic Apologetics (6)
- Catholic crackup (56)
- Clump lies and freedom dies (51)
- Clump Rising (30)
- Clump über alles (31)
- Clump über alles. (37)
- Clumpy The Clown (28)
- Conservative Crackup (92)
- Dumbass Cinema (23)
- FUCK TRUMP IN THE RUMP (90)
- Germaine Greer In Drag (12)
- GET YOUR WOMBS OUT OF MY WALLET (53)
- GOVERNMENT IS HELL ON EARTH (13)
- GOVERNMENT IS MURDER (18)
- GOVERNMENT IS THEFT (110)
- Guilty Pleasures (40)
- Guns Don't Kill Abortionists Do (9)
- Heap Big Lying Squaw (2)
- Heat Nazis (62)
- In vitro no one can hear you scream (51)
- It Takes A Village To Staff A Gestapo Unit (109)
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Love (10)
- Lyin'-ass Bitch in the White House (136)
- Mayor McTerror (2)
- Mittens The Pompadoured Pussy (17)
- NeverClump (37)
- None Dare Call It Fascism (100)
- None dare call it treason (174)
- Obama-rama (159)
- Orgasm Über Alles (80)
- Penis bad Vagina good (58)
- PLUTO HELD HOSTAGE (99)
- Racist. (75)
- Real Mensches Of Genius (16)
- Reel Cinema (7)
- Religion of Peace and Love and Et Cetera (189)
- SEX IS DEATH (111)
- Shakespearean insults (15)
- She With The Unmentionable Straightened Hair (5)
- Sodomy: The New Black (46)
- Stop me if you've heard this one. (14)
- The face of things to come (4)
- The First Hair Straightener (21)
- The King Abdullah Gazette (304)
- The Long Hot Zombie Summer (35)
- The Theology of the Body (149)
- Totalitarian Pennsylvania (67)
- VOTE FOR ROMNEY NOT THE COMMIE (70)
- What Would Giffords Do? (23)
- Words don't kill People do (77)
- Zardoz (8)
- Major K. - He's home now, but his blog from Iraq remains.
- The Mudville Gazette
- Iraq The Model
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- 365 and a Wakeup - He's home now, but his blog from Iraq remains.
- Captain's Quarters
- Michael Yon - old blog here
- A Star From Mosul
- Peeve Farm-Breeding peeves for show, not just to keep as pets.
- BlameBush! Because Bush is to Blame for Everything.
- CRISIS Magazine
- Disaffiliates-Think Twice
- Where have you gone, Ronald Reagan?
- (Get your own "Wars Prevented by the UN" counter here.)
- WI Catholic Musings
- Network of College Conservatives
- The Musings of David Amulet
- Stop The ACLU
- Crossed The Tiber
- I link what I like. Show me what you've got.
- ► 2017 (168)
- ► 2016 (99)
- ▼ 02/08 - 02/15 (2)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2012 (665)
- ► 2011 (692)
- ► 2010 (42)
- ► 2007 (849)
- ► 2006 (3990)
- ► 2005 (2291)